Failing to safeguard her temporary abode, Ricki Lake has lost her rented beach house in Malibu, California to a fire taking place on Saturday (September 18).
With a portable heater acting as the culprit, Captain Larry Robideaux of the LA County Fire Department told Radar Online, "Ms. Lake was refueling a portable heater inside her home and accidentally caused the fire. It took crews approximately 10 minutes to extinguish the fire. Ms. Lake, her children and her pets are fine. This has been ruled as an accidental fire. Case closed."
Meanwhile, the family in which rented the house to Ricki is said to be quite upset that the TV personality didn't do more to try and extinguish the flames.
A source told Radar, "The family doesn't understand why Rikki apparently made no attempt to put out the fire. She decided to move her cars, take her family and pets out, and even bring out boxes of clothes as she watched the fire burn the house to the ground. This has really torn the family apart. They feel that Rikki was negligent in trying to refill an outdoor heater indoors, and in making no attempt to put out the flames before it got out of control. They are talking to their lawyers about suing."